Welcome!

Thanks for visiting my eco-friendly blog. Please let me know what you think and if you have any ideas to contribute.
Be an Ad Sponsor


Saturday, February 16, 2008

Project: Plastic on Drafty Windows

A little bit of plastic goes a long way. Since this is my first winter in this house, I found that some of the original windows could use a little help keeping the heat in and the cold out. Plastic sheeting to the rescue!

Since window kits cost upwards of $15 for a few windows, I bought a roll of plastic (I think it's vapour barrier) and two rolls of tape for about $20. This should be enough for years of window covering, more if I reuse any of it.

Tackling the draftiest rooms first, I was able to dramatically reduce heat loss. I still have one window to tackle. Maybe a good project for today!

2 comments:

sardar said...

Great idea!Will be more effective if the plastic wrap is done on both sides of windows.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Sardar. The type of plastic I'm using is probably not strong enough for outdoor use here in Halifax - tough winters, but your point is a good one. I'd also recommend caulking the window as well with a peel-off caulk that you can remove in the spring.