Welcome!

Thanks for visiting my eco-friendly blog. Please let me know what you think and if you have any ideas to contribute.
Be an Ad Sponsor


Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Energy Counting

Did you know that you can get an energy metre from your local library for free? In Nova Scotia you can, thanks to Conserve NS.

After a two or three week wait, I now have one taking measurements all over the house. So far, it has confirmed two things:

  • Electronic devices use a lot of phantom power. Switching them off by using a power bar can save $20 a year per tv/dvd set. More if you turn off the satellite or cable box too.

  • All of my "luxury" items like tv, computer, and so forth are minor. Combined, I expect them to represent about 10% of my annual spending on electricity. Heat and hot water account for the vast majority of it.
This means my next investigation will be for solar hot water heating or pre-heating. I'll post about my solar heating project soon.

Don't want to wait? Buy a Kill-A-Watt at ThinkGeek and support this project.

2 comments:

Brave New Leaf said...

That's fantastic that Canada provides energy meters for free. What a great idea to suggest to our local power companies here in Seattle...

Unknown said...

Absolutely! They are cheap, easy to use, and make such a difference! I was surprised that the distribution through the library system was so easy. Inspired! I could reserve it just like a book and I picked it up in a little container with instructions and website links. Perfect!

Let me know if you lobby your local authority. I'll send you whatever I can find on our local program.