Welcome!

Thanks for visiting my eco-friendly blog. Please let me know what you think and if you have any ideas to contribute.
Be an Ad Sponsor


Wednesday, February 20, 2008

My Crank Radio

This one might take a few years to make a significant difference in energy consumption:

My Crank Radio

I bought this crank radio for my emergency kit. We tend to get some nasty weather during the fall and winter, so I wanted to have a radio and light for those nights when the power goes down. Since then, it's become part of the my day to day routine. I keep it next to my computer, so I get to listen without draining any more power.

A nice side benefit is that as the battery drains down, I get a reminder to take a break and move away from the computer! It certainly helps avoid that stiff neck and eye strain!

Roughly 30 cranks gets me 15 minutes of listening time at a decent volume.

Daily radio for zero new emissions. That's good math.

Get one like it at ThinkGeek and support the 25kW Challenge.

2 comments:

DaveB said...

Mateo - I've switched to the same ideology as well. All of my flashlights and radios are crank - also you can buy a 'crank charger' which can be adapted to charge a wide variety of things.

I'm thinking that for next winter, I'm going to hook up a stationary bike to a rechargeable set of batteries, going to be a little costly at first, but given how much I cycle on that bike in the winter, I think it will be financially and ecologically beneficial.

Unknown said...

Let me know what kind of hook-up you plan to use for your bike. It would be a double incentive... keep in shape for ultimate season and charge them batteries at the same time.

Depending on how much you bike and what you plan to do with the power, you could simply use it to entertain yourself while biking. Music or whatever. Would you bike enough to pump out the wattage for a tv?