Welcome!

Thanks for visiting my eco-friendly blog. Please let me know what you think and if you have any ideas to contribute.
Be an Ad Sponsor


Saturday, February 16, 2008

The 25kW Challenge

To celebrate the anniversary of the signing of the Kyoto Protocol, I am launching the 25kW Challenge.

Through the savings generated by the projects featured on Lower Footprint, the revenue from ads, sales, and donations, I will be re-investing the funds into my Lower Footprint projects. Since the current price of PV solar panels is about $1 per W, I am estimating that to go off-grid today would cost me about $25,000, thus the 25kW challenge.

You can help me out in the following ways:
  • Visiting my sponsors by clicking on an ad. Once per day only, please!
  • Making a purchase at one of our online retail partners (i.e. Think Geek).
  • Buy Lower Footprint 5W merchandise (Lower Footprint Store)
  • Buy a great green book or DVD (Lower Footprint Bookstore)
  • Buy an Amazon Gift Certificate (below)
  • Make a donation through PayPal.





Part of the whole idea behind Lower Footprint is to make this off-grid, lower consumption project a reality as cheaply as possible. If I can make it happen for less, I will donate any excess funds to an appropriate charity that furthers these same ideals!

Just noting here that in a few places around the web, I've been mistakenly called "Mateo York"... just wanted to mention it here for the search engines...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This could be the blog within a blog...

Almost have made it to the first 25kW Challenge Target of 0.150kW. This represents the cost of my energy audit that is coming up in just a few weeks. Thanks for the support!

Unknown said...

Milestone 1 met (0.15kW): Cost of Energy Audit. Target met Mar 27, 2008.

Milestone 2 (3.0kW): Approximate cost of solar hot water heating system, tied into existing hot water tank. At current rate, target will be reached in May, 2010.

Unknown said...

Did you know that any purchase you make through Amazon.com (or Amazon.ca) could be helping the 25kW Challenge without costing you anything? Simply start shopping at Amazon by clicking on any Amazon link on my blog and whether you shop for green books or romance novels, recycling guides or video games, my project will get a percentage of the sale just for referring you.

Lower Footprint does not collect any of the information you submit to Amazon, we simply get the credit for sending you there! It's win-win!

Shop at Amazon by clicking here.