Welcome!

Thanks for visiting my eco-friendly blog. Please let me know what you think and if you have any ideas to contribute.
Be an Ad Sponsor


Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Two Years of Lower Footprint

We're rapidly approaching our second anniversary! I started this blog as part of my new year's resolution for 2008 and it is still going strong. Lots more to do, but here are some numbers:

  • Over 10,000 unique visitors!
  • Visits from 90 countries, including all 13 Canadian provinces and territories, plus every state in the USA.
  • Thinking local means something as about 1 in 10 visitors are from Halifax, NS.
  • We've had visitors from every European country except Albania, Latvia, and Belarus.
  • Almost 70% find us by search engines, but 10% know to come here directly!

    So here are some of the challenges I want to tackle in the next little while:

  • Start using a re-usable mug for my daily coffee! Do you use one? How did you get the habit going well?
  • Start taking the bus more often... maybe one day a week to start out! I was doing well before, but I'm way out of practice.
  • STOP EATING FAST FOOD. It's terrible. You'll see more about this soon.
  • Lots more projects around the house!

    More to come! Thank you for a great two years!

    Share
  • 1 comment:

    Barry (Baz) said...

    My wife and I started our commitment to a lower footprint in September 2007. Just over 2 1/2 and we've changed just about everything in our life.

    I noticed a couple of things your planning on doing this year were on our list as well.

    Re-usable mug. Wasn't that hard as we already took them for our drive in every morning. Just had to take them in from the car and continue using them all day. For a while, I'd leave it on my dest when I went for coffee but then I started to catch myself and go back and get it.

    Public transit. We just set a date, July 2008, and started buying monthly transit passes. Once you have one, you feel obligated to use it. Found doing erands on the way home much easier as well.

    On the fast food one, that's harder. We made a commitment to take our lunch 3 days a week and picked one night a week for take out. We still go out once in a while when we feel the need.

    We've changed to the 100-Mile diet as well. Try to buy our food from local producers. We're about 80-90% there and that includes our lunch 3 days a week.

    Thanks for your blog and hope you take time to look at mine.