Welcome!

Thanks for visiting my eco-friendly blog. Please let me know what you think and if you have any ideas to contribute.
Be an Ad Sponsor


Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Solar Powered Fans

I've been planning for a while to incorporate some solar powered fans into my pop can solar furnace. They should help to draw air through the panel and thus circulate the air better. Today, I was able to get started on this part of the process.


I found a few old computer fans kicking around the house. Each is surprisingly quiet and draws a little less than a Watt of power. I also happen to have a small PV solar panel that puts out a couple of watts, but I will test that further as the design goes on.



Today, I simply trimmed the wires on the fans and connected them to the solar panel. Sure enough, they worked! I'm going to gather a few more and test how much air flow I can get before building a new panel with the fans built in. Ideally, I'd also use a PV collector that is just big enough to run the fans, but I will play with that next.

Share

No comments: