Welcome!

Thanks for visiting my eco-friendly blog. Please let me know what you think and if you have any ideas to contribute.
Be an Ad Sponsor


Sunday, May 25, 2008

An Eco-Friendly Diet

I've decided that it is time to shed a few pounds and start eating better. Thus, today I started putting together an eco-friendly diet with a purpose: The Diet for a Lazy Wanna-Be Vegetarian. We all know that eating locally and eating vegetarian are both smart and good for the environment, but I have to be perfectly honest. I'm damn lazy when it comes to food. I work 40 hours a week, take classes, have a busy and active social life, and at the end of the day, if I even get home by supper time, I'm not prepared to start cooking anything dramatic. Did I mention I hate and routinely waste left-overs?

I do love to cook. I just don't make time for it unless I'm having guests or am really craving something specific. But if I'm going to be realistic about this effort, I'm going to have to make it foolproof. As inspiration, my houseguest Meg has eating habits that are very similar to mine: quick, infrequent, uncomplicated, but the difference is that she's much more likely to make a three item salad, while I'm more likely to order the pizza.

For starters, I'm replacing the usual snack items in the house (chips, chocolate, etc) with better choices. A short trip to Pete's this morning got that much done.

Any suggestions? Recipes? Foolproof strategies?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My first suggestion would be to go to the farmer's market on Saturday - and you can take me, your helpful temporary roommate, with you! At the market there's lots of great fresh food, tons of people, a wonderful atmosphere all round! Buy local, buy fresh, everyone wins.

Adam said...

I'm going to agree with the whole market thing. Hit up the place that sells homemade sausage rolls. I think it's called Sweet William's. They raise all their own animals, make the sausage meat themselves, and wrap it in homemade pastry. Just great.

Stay away from that whole vegetable section, though. They only taste good when you mix them with bad-for-you things like dressing, bacon bits and cheese.

my blog said...

buy local buy fresh.